|In order to understand the information on this page, it can be helpful to already know:|
Percent means "for every 100" and is denoted by the % symbol. The symbol is derived from the diagonal line of a fraction and the two zeros of 100.
In practical terms, a percentage is a multiple of so:
64% is or .
Convert Percent to Fraction
"Convert 23% to a fraction"
Remember that percent is the number of hundredths so replace the % symbol with "" then simplify.
Convert Percent to Decimal
"Convert 23% to a decimal"
To convert to a decimal, use the decimal equivalent of
Convert Fraction to Percent
Express as a percent
First, convert the fraction to have a denominator of 100 then rearrange as a multiple of
Convert Decimal to Percent
Express 0.458 as a percent
Start by rearranging to a multiple of 0.01 then continue as you would for a fraction.
Finding a percentage of a value
What is 23% of $400?
First, convert the 23% to a fraction or decimal (methods shown earlier) then multiply the result by $400.
You can practice skills in percent using the following references:
Make sure you are logged in to Khan Academy when doing these exercises so your practice is recorded.
- Introduction to percents
- Finding percents of numbers
- Percents from fractions (with diagrams)
- Converting between percents and fractions (without diagrams)
- Converting decimals to percents
- Converting percents to decimals
- Equivalent representations of percent problems
- Relate fractions, decimals, and percents
- Percent word problems
- Percent word problems 2
- Discount, tax, markup, and commission word problems
Percentages are often used in financial applications where a proportion calculation is required. These include:
- Discounts (percentage of original price)
- Profit margin (percentage of sale price)
- Tips (percentage of total bill)
- Loan or Deposit interest (percentage of balance)
Comfortable with percents? Check out the follow-on mathematics you can now do: